Friday, January 25, 2013

Macho Mama!

This past Thursday I went to the fruit market in the center of Lima. It was quite the experience! I love going to the center of Lima. It's vivacity is so intriguing. When I went to the fruit market, I brought my camera in hope of catching the central market's liveliness. Considering how dangerous the center of Lima is, this was a daring act. There are so many robbers in the center of Lima. These people have no limitations. My family was telling me that these robbers would just rip my camera off from my neck or even throw themselves into the car through the window to get ahold of my camera. Thankfully, I had my mom there to protect me and watch over me. Here are a couple of pictures I took. Hopefully, you can get an idea of how the market it from the pics!





I like going to the market. This is what Lima is really like! Lima is not like the rich parts of La Molina or Miraflores where everything is nice. Going to the center of Lima is a real cultural experience that gives so much insight about Lima's people and how they work externally and internally. When I go to the center of Lima I feel like I am in a whole other world and time period. 

I was certainly glad that my mom was there to protect me! The looks some people gave me were definitely a warning that I could have been in trouble. But the looks my mom shot back were more threatening. My mom has so much brute force! Although the women of Peru are reserved and less-respected, my mom does not act this way. I love that my mom is strong and stands up for herself. At the dinner table, at which my mom (not dad) sits at the head of the table, we recount times such as when my mom beat up a guy on the street for grabbing at my sister's chest. My mom is such a character and a symbol of strength for women in Peru. I'm glad she's my mom! In fact, I'm glad my new family is my family! My dad is so sweet and kind. Both my parents are very down-to-earth and open. I have really nice conversations with them. My grandma is great too! She's really funny! My little brother has so much energy. He can always keep me entertained. My sisters are amazing. We get along so well! I love the nights when we just laugh. My family does an excellent job at making me really feel like part of the family! I love them! 

Well, I have to go pack for RYLA (Rotary Youth Leadership Awards) this weekend-- a camp where we learn about and practice leadership. Until next time... Chau! Un besito! 

No comments:

Post a Comment