Monday, May 6, 2013

La USIL

It has been months since I last updated my blog. Let me fill you in on what has been going on!

In early March, 26 exchange students, including myself, were chosen to attend Universidad de San Ignacio de Loyola (USIL). USIL is one of Lima's universities. Within two days, the exchange students and I rushed to take a Spanish test and attend orientation for USIL. Before we knew it, we were already beginning university! Back to school for us!

The exchange students and I are considered free students (we aren't even registered in the system). Therefore, we could take five courses we like (one of the five including Spanish). I was placed in intermediate Spanish and signed up for biochemistry, history of Peru, cooking, and popular art and culture. USIL was not ready for 26 new students on such short notice. Consequently, we weren't allowed to take some classes. Unfortunately, I couldn't take cooking. We weren't allowed to come to school for the first week because space was limited.

University in Peru has taught me that many situations here cannot be handled the same way I could handle them back home in the states. After the first week of classes, I realized I wanted to be put in advanced Spanish rather than intermediate. The intermediate class was very basic for the Spanish I had picked up in Peru. Although I had been here for 8 months, my intermediate Spanish class was converting verbs in present tense. I spoke with my teacher and the department of languages to see if I could switch to the advanced class. Little did I know at the time that this was a mistake. By asking to move up because my current class was too easy, I offended my teacher. In response, she sent emails to my host Rotary club stating that I have an attitude problem. Unfortunately, I could not move up to advanced (there wasn't enough room for me). I also had to speak with my Spanish teacher and apologize. I learned that I cannot be so straight-forward. I also learned that self-advocacy from a young woman is very uncommon in Peru. Although in the U.S., university is a time in a person's life to be independent and mature; in Peru, a person doesn't go through this phase until much later in life.

Apart from my little situation in Spanish class, university has been good. However, university in Peru reminds me of high school in the U.S. My classes are interesting. I enjoy being intellectually engaged. University here makes me excited to attend the University of Iowa in the fall of 2013! The Rotary exchange kids are not the only foreigners on campus. There are several more exchange students from other programs. I have meet a lot of interesting people at USIL. I play for USIL's women futsal (5 vs 5 version of soccer) team. It's great to be playing soccer, again! Plus, it helps work off some of the exchange weight I have gained haha!

At the end of March, I took a week vacation to Punta Sal (in Piura) with my host family. We stayed at the DeCameron resort. It was very hot, but absolutely beautiful and relaxing! I had a lot of fun. I laid on the beach, swam in the ocean, went kayaking, snorkeled, and ate delicious food!





This week, we have exams. Because I'm a free student, I can't take the exams. How unfortunate haha! One week of vacation for me!! Next week, I will be taking a trip to the northern jungle in Peru-- Iquitos! Soon after, I will do to my district conference in Lunahuana. Afterwards, we take a trip to Nazca and Ica!! Plenty of traveling coming up for me!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment