Friday, October 19, 2012

Culture Shock?

I made this blog with the intentions of recording all my adventures in Peru-- a diary in a way. I told myself I would write about the good and the bad. But there has never been anything "bad" to write about. A But alas, I am going through a bit of a rough patch. I think I am going through a little bit of "culture shock" and maybe a touch of "exchange shock." In Peru, the independence is way different than it is in the U.S. In the U.S. I was used to just being able to do what I wanted when I wanted, more or less. I just had to ask my parents and take myself to where I was going in my car. But in Peru, it's way different! Especially, with the rules Rotary has set up for its exchange students. When I first arrived in Peru, I did not go out or hang out with friends much. I have been missing just being able to go out and have fun! A lot of the time, I find myself sitting at home with nothing to do! And I have worked way too hard to just come to Peru to not have fun. Last year I gave up soccer just so I could get a job and save my money for exchange. I also did countless fundraisers with family and friends. Preparation for my exchange took a lot of dedication, hard work, and creativity! I am ready for my preparation to pay off! Recently, I have started going out more with my exchange friends. But sometimes it's still a struggle. Going out with friends can be a struggle because most of the time I have to find my own rides (Rotary doesn't allow exchange students to drive), and host families are concerned about their host children's safety. To resolve the ride situation I am in the process of learning the crazy bus system in Peru. But even this worries my host mom-- she doesn't want me to get robbed or anything. And because I am a girl, my host mom prefers I do things with other people, not alone. I think host parents are concerned about our safety so much because Lima can be a very dangerous place. But Lima truly isn't dangerous if you know how to behave in the streets. One of the most dangerous districts in Lima is Callao, but again, only if you make it dangerous. Just last weekend it was quite the struggle for me to ask if I could hang out at my friend's house in Callao to watch movies for the night. It took some convincing and a lot of money for a safe taxi, but I  was finally given permission! Everything went fine, too! No harm was done! But I couldn't believe how much work it took just to have a relaxed night at a friend's house-- way more work than it would take or even be thought of in the U.S.!! And now, I find myself going through a similar situation-- a sleepover. Yes, a sleepover. One of my exchange friends asked me to spend the night at her house. But this was shut down right away by my host family and Rotary! Apparently, sleepovers are a "no-no", more or less, in Peru. I actually think that this is part of Latino culture in general. Plus, my Rotary club has made a rule stating that the first half of our exchange we aren't allowed to do sleepovers. I honestly do not see the harm in a sleepover! In the U.S., sleepovers are something you start doing in Kindergarten; but, not in Peru. I have been trying very hard to understand everyone's reasoning, but this is just part of the culture that I must accept and respect. So, I believe this is what you would call "culture shock." I am going through a bit of a difficult time because I am not accustomed to this part of Peruvian culture. I am not accustomed to having so little independence; especially, coming from a very liberal place-- the U.S. But as I have been told, it's a process. Little by little, things will get better and I will feel more independent once again. I just have to keep positive and let things take their course!

No comments:

Post a Comment